Friday, May 18, 2012

Photo Friday: HDR


I've had my slide scanner for almost six months now, and I've barely made a dent in my collection. I have thousands of slides, and every once and a while, when I find a free moment, I grab one of my dozens of binders that contains hundreds of slides, and start scanning.

I'm not scanning in any particular order, so it's a nice surprise to see what I come up with. This past weekend, I came across some slides from 1984 to 1986, and I've found photos of me in my last year in high school and my years in journalism school. You can see some of those photos in this week's Wordless Wednesday.

As I experimented with photography, I liked setting my camera on my tripod, setting long exposures, and manually zooming the lens. The result was an image that looked like it was moving at warp speed.

Here is one photo I took of the Thomas D'Arcy McGee building on Sparks Street:


This shot was taken in December, 1985.

And after I took that shot, I took another one; this time, zooming through the exposure.



Cool?

After scanning these slides, it dawned on me that because they were both fixed on a tripod that was in the same spot, I could technically combine the digital images and apply the high dynamic range (HDR) effect (I use the HDR tool in Corel PaintShop Pro X4) to them. I wondered what that would look like?

It looks like this:



I love this age of technology, don't you?

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment