Monday, April 21, 2014

Music Monday: Live and Die

I can't stand country music.

I don't know what it is about it: the twang of the guitars, the seemingly similar beat, the god-awful drawl of just about every country singer. Whatever it is about country music, after about one minute of listening to it, I get in the foulest of moods: I become angry combative, and overall, not nice to be around.

So, typically, when I hear a country song come on the radio or television, I switch channels or turn the TV or radio off.

If someone were to put a gun to my head and say, "if you listen to this song, you will live: if you put your hands over your ears, you will die," I would most likely die within seconds.

Now, that can't be said of every single song that falls into the genre of country music. There are some Kathleen Edwards songs I like. I can tolerate a few (very few) songs by the Eagles and Blue Rodeo.

And there's this song by The Avett Brothers.



I really like the sound of a banjo if it's played right, and in Live and Die, it is plucked just right. I like the vocals of this song: no sickening drawl that borders on a yodel. This is just a lovely song. It's a country song that I could get through and live.

I hope you enjoy it, too.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment