Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Google is Watching

I remember hearing the CEO of Google once say of his company that in its quest for success, it had to remember its motto: don't be evil.

I like to think that this company, that started as a Web search engine, has been gathering information to make life better. I know that, since I purchased my Android phone, that many of the Google apps have made it easy for me to find places, to find information for work and for writing this blog, and for organizing my days.

Google, for the most part, I find, is good.

But Google is watching you: it knows where you go on the Internet. It knows where you go in your day-to-day life. It tracks your movement. It plots your daily course. And you can see it, through Google Location History.

Here is my movement from the day I left Ottawa for France to the day I returned.



Obviously, it tracks your movement based on WiFi or when your phone makes contact with a cell tower. It's not 100 percent accurate, but it's close enough.

So, while Google maintains that it is not evil, it is watching you.

No comments:

Post a Comment