Monday, February 19, 2018

If It Rhymes With Wrong, It's Wrong

One of the first things that DW and I learned to do, before we left Canada for South Korea, in 1997, was to learn how to read the written language, Hangul.

It's not a particularly difficult language to learn. The alphabet has 24 characters that are blended together by the syllables that comprise a word. DW and I learned the sounds that each character make and then learned how to pronounce each syllable cluster and read out words. This practice, surprisingly, took only a few hours to master, and by the end of our second day of studying, we could read words pretty quickly.

Our goal was to identify various words that could help us in our travels. For example, we wanted to be able to recognize our city's name—Chŏnju, or Jeonju, as it's more commonly written now, or 전주, in Hangul. In our first few days in Korea, we would practice by reading the words out loud, such as the destinations that were next to the numbers on city buses, or on buildings as we passed by them, on said buses.

We couldn't comprehend the language but it was a huge advantage in looking at the menu on a board outside a restaurant to know what kind of food they served, or to identify a bank, or recognize the way toward downtown.

One of the things that I found rather quirky about South Koreans was the pronunciation of my home country, Canada. It made me think that the first people to hear my country's name was from someone from the southern United States: it came out as "kay-na-da."

And then, I saw how Canada was written, in Hangul.

캐나다

The second character of the first syllable group, the one that looks like a squished H, has the vowel sound ae, like when you say "hey."

No wonder the Koreans were mispronouncing the name of my home and native land: they were misspelling it.

I tried to educate my students over the two years that I taught English, letting them know that if they wanted to truly pronounce Canada properly, they had to spell it the way it truly sounds. And I would write it on the blackboard.

가나다

(My students were always fascinated when I wrote their language out.)

During the 2018 Olympic Winter Games, in Pyeongchang, South Korea, I always cringe when I listen to updates on the radio and I hear our Canadian journalists botch the pronunciation of this north-eastern region. If only they knew the language, they might find it easier to sound out.

It's probably because the English translation of this word uses 11 characters. I've heard it enunciated as "pee-on-chahng" and even "pie-ong-chahng," where the vowel in the last syllable has an open "ah" sounding A. But the worst pronunciation is "pyong-chong," where the vowels have an open O sound, as in the word "wrong."

I'm talking to you, CBC Radio One. To my favourite morning-show host; to the guy who gives the hourly updates from the Land of the Morning Calm.

In Hangul, this region of South Korea is written with six characters in two syllables: 평장.

In Hangul, this region is pronounced "Pyung-chahng." The first syllable rhymes with rung; the  vowel in the second syllable has the same sound as in the word awesome.

Try it out loud a couple of times.

When I studied journalism, many years ago in college, we had a class in broadcasting. When we put copy together to read out loud, if we came across a word that had a tricky pronunciation, we wrote it out phonetically. Hearing Pyeongchang read aloud on the radio, it seems like that method has been thrown out the window. Or someone is writing it, phonetically, incorrectly.

CBC, if anyone from your radio shows ever reads this blog post, take it from someone who has lived in South Korea and learned the language, who taught his students the importance of correctly pronouncing his own country by writing it phonetically, in their own language. Please honour that great land by saying the name right.

Two syllables with vowels that make an uh and an open A sound. "Pyung-chang."

If either syllable rhymes with wrong, you, too, are wrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment