Thursday, July 26, 2018

Beer O'Clock: Laura's Pick

I'm allergic to cherries. But that's okay, because I've never been a huge fan of them, except when they're candied.

Call it a sweet craving.

So, you're probably asking yourself, why would I bother to review a cherry ale? And a sour one at that? (If you may recall, I don't like sour ales.)

When I visited Kichesippi Beer Company, last week, my intention was to try another seasonal that they had released: the Remic Rapids West Coast IPA. But the person behind the counter started talking up another seasonal so much, I had to give it a try.

I may not like sour beer or cherries, but I can still be objective when I try an ale that is both, can't I?

Can I?
Laura's Sour Cherry Wheat
Kich Staff Pick No.7 (4.5% ABV)
Kichesippi Beer Company
Ottawa, ON
Appearance: an unfiltered peach-pink with plenty of effervescence in the pour, with a white, bubbly head that immediately dissipates, just as though I was pouring a soda. The large bubbles clung to the inside of the glass, but quickly shrunk to tiny pearls.

Nose: candied cherries with only a touch of sourness.

Palate: more candied cherries, with only enough sourness to live up to the claim that there was any. The lush Montmorency cherry flavours were the star of the ale, and I detected a sweetness with the sour. The fruit remained in the finish.

Overall impression: despite being allergic to cherries, I think that the boil countered whatever it is that makes me react to them. And because the flavour was candied, with only a hint of sourness, I found this ale to be a pleasing summer thirst quencher. With the heat and humidity that we've experienced in Ottawa, this summer, Laura's Sour Cherry Wheat cuts my thirst.

Laura Oattes has been a brewer with Kichesippi Beer for more than five years and chose sour cherries for this mid-summer thirst quencher (apparently, it was either this or malt liquor). I'm glad she went for the former.

According to the lad who talked me into picking up a couple of cans of Laura's brew, the company sold 3,000 litres in only three weeks. They are currently working on a second batch.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺 While this is a beer style that I would usually overlook, I'm glad that I tried this one. The cherries are flavourful and a bit candied, which is the only way that I like cherries, and there isn't very much of a sour flavour, which is also a plus. I highly recommend it and would try it again.

Get yours directly from the brewery or contact them to see who has it on tap.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment