Monday, March 16, 2020

Hunkering Down

We have enough food to last us a couple of weeks. Enough water and beverages, too.

We have enough toilet paper and tissues to survive the Apocalypse.

DW and I are fortunate enough that we can work from home. I actually started feeling a head cold coming on, Tuesday morning, and so I left the office and worked the rest of the afternoon from my basement study area.


Coronavirus illustration: 3D4Medical
On Wednesday, my throat was sore and my upper sinuses were blocked, so again, I stayed home. As the news of COVID-19's spread grew over media, I listened closely but didn't panic. I had no fever, was not feeling lethargic. It was a head cold, I told myself.

On Thursday, my head felt as though it weighed twice as much as normal, and all I wanted to do was sleep. I contacted the office to let them know that I was taking a sick day, let some friends know that I wouldn't be able to meet that evening for dinner, and went back to bed.

Later that afternoon, still feeling awful, I checked work e-mail and learned that my company was issuing an order for all employees who could work from home to do so. DW's company sent her a similar message but she was already at home: she was beginning to feel similar symptoms to mine.

By Thursday evening, though, I had rallied. My head was clearing and I had more energy. My throat was no longer sore. Seasonal allergies, I told myself: that's all I had. Allergy meds confirmed it.

On Friday morning, I was back to myself, and even ventured outside (though stayed close to home, only taking a walk around the neighbourhood). I felt relieved, as that evening I had tickets to a Sarah Slean and Hawksley Workman performance, and I didn't want to miss it.

Unfortunately, DW was feeling ill and didn't want to be in any crowded theatre. But it was moot: by mid-afternoon, the concert was postponed as public venues were shutting down around the city.

I've filled up the gas tank in both vehicles. With no work to drive to, libraries, gyms, and swimming pools closed, and advisories to stay home mounting, the tanks should go a long way.

We're hunkering down. We'll go out only when we have to or to get some fresh air, away from crowds. Please listen to government and medical officials and follow their recommendations.

How are you faring in these early days? Are you prepared to stay at home? Do you have to go into work? Are you able to practice social distancing?

Are you stranded anywhere? Let me know how you're doing by leaving a comment.

It's still early days. I'll check on you as cabin fever starts to sink in.

Be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment