Thursday, September 10, 2020

Bye Bye Love

Today's a day, no doubt, that will be filled with tears. My first-born child is leaving the nest, moving to another city.

DW and I are so proud of our daughter, who is about to begin a four-year degree program that she's been dreaming about taking for a couple of years, when she attended an open house at the institute. As she put it, this is her destiny.*

We've nervous, too. Not just because she's going to be in another city, far from the care of her loving parents. Because we are still in a global pandemic and because our province is headed toward another spike in the number of COVID-19 cases, we wish she was still in the safety of her home.

Mind you, with our younger daughter about to return to high school, our eldest daughter is likely safer where she will be. She's in residence, not sharing a room, and her classes are all online. Her risk of exposure is lower than her sister's, or mine, or DW's.

My kid is anxious to get a start on this new chapter in her life. It's an important milestone. And today, as DW and I help our first-born move across the province, I can't help but think: my baby's all grown up.

Yes, there will be tears today. I'll try to keep from bawling my eyes out.




* For her privacy, naturally, I'm purposely not naming the city or school she's attending.

No comments:

Post a Comment