Monday, July 4, 2022

Fast Ride

It's the fastest virtual challenge I've ever taken.

At the beginning of this year, as I was still finishing my virtual Route 66 trek of The Conqueror Virtual Challenges, I signed up for three more that I thought would take me to the end of 2022. In February, I started the Great Wall challenge, which wrapped up just over a week ago.

Because that challenge took so long, I thought it would be good to do a shorter route, afterward. The Cabot Trail route, on Nova Scotia's Cape Breton Island, at 300 kilometres, seemed like a good way to go. Plus, having driven that route in the 90s with DW, it was familiar territory.

I gave myself two weeks to complete the challenge, thinking that I could easily complete 21 kms each day, allowing for a decent ride every other day and then a short ride or long walk on alternating days.

I finished the challenge in one week.

It went so fast that I hardly had time to take this beautiful route in. I did stop, one evening, at Cape Breton Highlands National Park, near Ingonish. DW and I camped and hiked around that area for a couple of days. I also stopped along a stretch of the trail road on the western side of the park, where there's a lookout point where, if you're lucky, you can spot migrating whales in the Gulf of St. Laurence.

For real, when DW and I were there, we spied a pod of Pilot Whales.

I have stories to share from that trip, which I may share this week for Throwback Thursday. Riding this route, even virtually, has brought back some memories.

I'm now a few days into my next virtual challenge, the Appalachian Trail. It's nearly 3,180 kms and will likely take me into late October or early November to complete. So far, I've only walked to earn my distances toward this goal. But my road bike came back from the shop yesterday and if the weather is good later this afternoon, I'll rack up more kilometres.

Maybe, I'll catch up and surpass the pace marker, which is set at 25 kms per day.

I have no worries except for the few weeks, in September, when DW and I will be on vacation, without bikes or kayaks. You know, travelling for real.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment