Friday, February 9, 2024

Getting the Shot

They thought I was crazy.

Already, at 6:30, the temperature was in the mid 20s and it was only going to get hotter as the morning continued. By noon, it would be in the 30s.

But I was determined. In my backpack, I had a tripod, a 360-degree camera on a three-metre selfie stick, a D-SLR with a 24-70mm lens, spare batteries, an ND filter, and a water bottle.

It seemed like a lot to carry, DW and our friends said, but I assured them that I've carried much more. I'd be fine.

I'm not in as good a shape as I was when DW and I trekked around Portugal, in 2022.  I can't remember the last time I was on my spin bike and I'm less than two months post appendectomy. I'm carrying more weight on me, too.

But I had a specific photo in mind and I was determined to get it. 

The trailhead for the Nauyaca Waterfalls was about a 20-minute drive from our Airbnb, in the hills above Dominical. From there, it was a 3.3-kilometre hike, mostly uphill.

And it was getting hotter.

I moved the slowest of our foursome. Though I rarely stopped, only doing so to retrieve my water bottle for a swig or taking some video footage, but I kept moving.

When we reached the falls, they were more beautiful than the photos that we saw online, in preparation for this visit. As DW and our friends prepared themselves for a dip in the cool pool below the two-tiered falls, I moved to a place where I could set up my gear.

I placed my camera on my tripod and screwed the ND filter on. I snapped a few shots.


Determined to capture both levels of the falls, together, I had to place everything back in my pack and strap it tightly to my back. I removed my hiking boots and waded in the water, waist-deep, to get to the far side.

The floor of the pool was slippery and I had to cling onto some rocks to ensure that I didn't fall. If my backpack sunk into the water, my gear would be damaged. 

Slowly and steadily, I got across. The view was worth it. 


And the return trip to the car was mostly downhill.

Sometimes, carrying your gear can take a lot of effort. But when it pays off, it's worth it. 

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment