Sunday, November 27, 2011

We're Not Sports Fans


This is an actual conversation that Lori and I had on Friday. It all made sense to me today.

Lori: Is it Superbowl Sunday this weekend?
Me: No, I don't think so. I think that's in January, sometime after New Year's.
Lori, remarking at the colossal tower of potato chips and cola, prominently displayed at the entrance to our local Loblaws: There's some football game going on this weekend. Look at that display.
Me, noticing the football theme in the support columns of the tower: Well, it's the American Thanksgiving weekend. You know how the Yanks love their football. We seem to be following them in their holidays. We got sucked into their stupid Black Friday. I bet there are college games going on.
Lori: Yeah, maybe.
Me: Aren't you glad you married a guy who doesn't spend his whole weekend watching sports, having his buddies over, screaming at the TV, filling our mouths with junk food and swilling cheap beer?
Lori: Yeah, I suppose.

I swear, I did listen to the news on CBC Radio almost all day yesterday. I watched a little news on TV before I went to sleep. But it wasn't until I woke up this morning and heard the top story that I put it all together.

Today is Grey Cup Sunday. The biggest football day in Canada. It's our Superbowl.



And all I can say is "huh."

If you're a fan, enjoy the game against whoever and whoever, wherever. Oh yeah, the logo says "Vancouver." I hope there aren't any riots this time. Or was that another sport?

Happy Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment