Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Where The Good Stuff Is Kept

More and more, I find that my blog is becoming less about my writing and more about my photography.

I'm not really complaining. Are you?

As much as I love to write, my photography is my other not-so-secret passion. I love capturing images. Even when I don't have a camera on me or am moving in our van or on the bus, I look around at the passing landscapes and compose shots in my head or I make a mental image of where I saw a great shot, hoping someday to return and capture it on my camera.

Over the last few months, I've discovered a great photo Web site where you can upload photos and view the images of other photographers from around the world. It's very much like Flickr or Picasa, but with a big difference: the photos uploaded to this site are professional-grade.

No vacation snaps, no shots of your kids or dogs. Unless, of course, they are of a quality fit for a magazine or art gallery.

The site is called 500px. Perhaps you've heard of it.

The photos are fantastic. I find myself getting lost in the fabulous compositions and can look at the pictures forever. I look at the shots and say to myself: "That's what I want to do someday."

I've been bold enough to open an account and add a few of my photos to the site. You can see mine by clicking or tapping this link (in the age of tablets, "click" sounds archaic).

My collection will grow, but only when I feel the photo is genuinely worth it. For myself, I look at my own photos and think they don't measure up to the ones I see daily, but I try.

What do you think?

Do you think that any of my other photos that I've posted on this blog are worth adding? Let me know.

I still have my Picasa album, but I use it for events I've shot or family adventures. My Flickr album contains my more artsy shots.

For 500px, I'll be even more picky.

No comments:

Post a Comment