Thursday, June 22, 2017

Beer O'Clock: Industrial Pale Ale

Every so often, I venture to my basement to take inventory of the bottles and cans of unopened beer, to see if there's anything that I bought but somehow neglected.

You would be surprised to know that there are times where, atop the wooden wine racks, stacked with dust-covered bottles of old vintages, sits a flat shelf that is even-more stacked with cases and individual selections of ales, lagers, and stouts.

With the beginning of summer, I'm looking to shed any of the last remnants of heavier, winter beers, to make way for the light, refreshing summer ales.

I was surprised to find several bottles that have been in my basement since the beginning of the year, plus cans that I had bought at the beginning of spring.

Too late for spring cleaning: time for summer clearance.

Tucked behind a half-empty, spring-sampler six-pack from Mill Street were two cans that held promise. I knew that I hadn't had the beer before because with two cans, I was looking at my taster can and my potential review can. I always buy two cans when I'm looking to review a beer, just in case one is off.

After opening the first can, I was ready to do my review.

Located on a small peninsula where the Port Dalhousie Harbour opens into Lake Ontario, Lock Street Brewing Company claims itself to be the first authentic micro brewery in Port Dalhousie—ignoring the fact that this small community has been swallowed by St.Catharines, home of Plan B Beer Works, and is also a short jaunt from Silversmith Brewing, Niagara Oast House Brewers, The Exchange Brewery, Taps Brewing, and more on the way.

The Niagara Peninsula is a small region.

Nevertheless, Lock Street has established itself in a 140-year-old building that was originally a hotel and opened last year as a brewery, one of 400 in Ontario.

The beer that I found in my cellar was the breweries pale ale. Let's examine my findings.
Industrial Pale Ale (5.5% ABV)
Lock Street Brewing Co.
Port Dalhousie (St.Catharines) ON
Appearance: a clear, copper-orange body with a creamy, light-beige head that formed a thick, solid cap.

Nose: malts come out ahead of the hops. There's a citrus that is almost sour with grassy tones.

Palate: there is an even distribution of malt and hops, with grapefruit and caramel competing for attention. A heavy finish brings it all together.

Overall impression: calling this pale ale Industrial is apt: this is one heavy pale ale, but at the same time it's easy to drink if you're used to a typical IPA—it's not as bitter but it has a full body.

For myself, I wish I had consumed this ale in the spring, when I first found it and when the weather was cool and damp. With the summer heat and humidity, you're going to want to choose a cool, air-conditioned environment in which to drink it, rather than on a hot, summer patio.

Beer O'Clock rating: 3

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment