Friday, November 24, 2017

Photo Friday: Kuala Lumpur

Look through your photos, I told myself, you'll find something.

I was, of course, looking through the folders of photos that I've shot over the past couple of months but had done nothing with. They're sitting in those albums, awaiting editing, looking for me to pull out a story.

I found an album with a quick photo that I captured of the Chateau Laurier, Ottawa's castle. From the angle, near the pedestrian underpass that takes you to the southwest corner of Rideau Street and Sussex Drive.

I looked at the angle of the shot and was reminded of one that I shot, more than 30 years ago, with my Minolta X-700. While this shot was near sunset, the old photo was from after dark. I tried to remember if I had scanned the photo, which was captured on E-6 film: slide.

I have several external hard drives that hold a vast number of my photos, but only one holds digitized images, captured with a device that projects negatives and slides.

I moved from the drive that held the image of this month's Chateau to a drive that I rarely access.

No such luck.

But I did come across other folders of scanned negatives, from various travels, and my eye settled on one that was labelled Malaysia.

There was one scanned image of which I'm particularly proud, which was a candid shot that captured some calm amidst the bustling crowd of Kuala Lumpur. Two barbers, plying their craft, on clients.

No one knew that I was focusing on this everyday scene, did not know that they were the subject, until I pressed the shutter release and the attached motor drive made a mechanized sound. One of the barbers looked up, away from his client and into his mirror to identify the sound. He saw me, nodded, and returned to his task without a word.

As though I was no longer there.

My work was done, but his wasn't quite ready.


Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment