Friday, May 1, 2020

Photo Friday: The Camera You've Got

There's that adage that says the best camera is the one you've got. In the smartphone age, is that always true?

On the occasional walks that DW and I take outside our neighbourhood (I know, we're not supposed to do this), I usually pick up one of my D-SLRs—which one I grab depends on my destination. If our walk is going to take us somewhere where most subjects are at a distance, such as when we walk along the Ottawa River or at Mooney's Bay, I grab my Nikon D7200, which has had my 70-300mm lens affixed for a couple of months (I've been too lazy to change it).

If a walk is going to entail objects being a bit closer, such as the Experimental Farm or the Chapman Mills Conservation Area, I take my D750, which is equipped with my 24-70mm lens.

No matter the walk, I always carry my smartphone with me, though if I go out with one of my D-SLRs, I'm not likely to pull out my smartphone to capture an image.

A couple of weeks ago, I updated my Samsung Galaxy S7. I've had it for more than three years and it's been a decent device, but over the past couple of months, it had become sluggish, especially when I performed a Google search, when I shopped online through the Amazon app, or looked at videos through Twitter. And, about a month ago, Samsung announced that they were no longer supporting security updates for the S7.

That was a deal breaker for me, and so I ordered an S10 to replace it. The Galaxy S10 comes with three cameras on the back: one for super-wide captures, one for normal magnification, and a telephoto lens.

Every time I upgrade my phone, the camera technology improves exponentially, and this new phone was no exception. But, surprisingly, I didn't take many photos with it when I first received the device. For the first day, I focused on transferring contacts and data from my old phone and getting used to using a device that didn't have a physical home button.

When I did take my first photo, it was a capture of a beer that I was drinking and wanted to add to my database on Untapp'd. It was an extremely sharp image and I was pleased, but didn't give the phone much thought.

On the first weekend that I had my phone, DW and I drove to the Experimental Farm and wandered around the flower gardens (which hadn't show any signs of growth, yet), the barns, and the greenhouses, and I snapped photos with my D750. (For the past two Wordless Wednesdays, you've seen images from that outing).

When we returned to our car, DW remarked that I hadn't used my new smartphone to capture images. "I had my D750," I said, "why would I use an inferior device to capture images?"

"How do you know it's inferior?" was her response.

She had a point. Pictures of beer cans was no judge of how good the smartphone was at capturing images that are more photogenic. And so, last weekend, I set out to make a comparison. Would my $1,000 smartphone stand up to my $4,500 D-SLR?

This weekend, DW and I returned to the Experimental Farm but we decided that we would walk to Dow's Lake, via the Arboretum. The day before, we had driven along Prince of Wales Drive, passing the Arboretum, and had seen some flowers blooming under the bare bushes in this lovely garden park. This is where I wanted to conduct my comparisons.

I lay down on the ground, got as close to the flowers as my lens could focus. There is a bit of post processing with these images, but only a little. Which camera took the images?



Which photos do you prefer?



They say that the best camera is the one that you have with you. But which camera should I leave at home?

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment