Monday, October 12, 2020

Giving Thanks

The down-side is that we couldn't sit down together, at the same table, passing the stuffing and mashed potatoes, and clinking glasses together. We weren't able to go around the room, each of us sharing what we were thankful for on this Canadian Thanksgiving.


Instead, we were all in our own homes, eating our own dinners, drinking our own wines, savouring our own holiday desserts.

The up-side is that we're all healthy: my mother, sisters, brother. My wife and two daughters.

I'm thankful that my eldest, who is living in the GTA, in residence, is practicing social distancing, keeping to her room, studying online. When she does go outside, to take solitary walks or to get groceries and other essentials, she wears a mask and keeps her distance from others. And so, she was able to come home for the holidays.

I'm thankful that I was able to connect with my parents and siblings, over video conferencing, so that we could assure one another that we were safe and healthy. Though we couldn't be face-to-face, we were able to see one another and share some laughs.

This pandemic has been hard on us all. But there are some things for which we can give thanks. And hopefully, we can all get together for the next Thanksgiving.

Be safe, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment