Thursday, September 9, 2021

Remembering a Chicago Legend

The first time I was in Chicago was in June of 2007, on a business trip. My company had a customer training centre in Franklin Park and I attended one of the courses in which the instructor and students used a manual that I had written. I was there to make sure that the procedures were easy to follow and to get feedback from the people in the class, and make any changes.

Though the training centre was in Franklin Park, I was put up in a residence inn much further out from downtown Chicago, in Lombard. To get downtown, I had to drive about 40 minutes along highways that were packed with motorists, but I didn't mind.

While my company had my undivided attention from 9 to 5, the evenings were mine and I was going to take in as much of the city as I could. I visited Grant Park, walked the Michigan Mile, enjoyed a single-malt scotch at the top of the Hancock Tower, and wandered the famous riverbanks and bridges.

I also checked out live music. Because the Chicago Blues Festival was running during my stay, I was able to see legendary singer Koko Taylor. I also visited Buddy Guy's Legends blues bar, where I was treated to a performance by Buddy's brother, Phil.

Phil Guy (left), June 2007.
During the intermission, I was lucky enough to chat with Phil for a few moments, and I told him that it would be great to see him perform at Ottawa's Bluesfest, to which he told me that he would love to go, but that he'd never been invited.

"For what it's worth," I said, "I'm inviting you." I suggested that his agent or manager make some inquiries, that Ottawa would love to have him. He said he'd do that.

Phil died, just over a year later, in August of 2008. While I never saw Phil perform at Bluesfest, I did see his brother at the Ottawa festival a year or so later.

I returned to Chicago, again, in 2009, and made another visit to Buddy Guy's Legends. I don't remember who was playing that night but the show was good, yet it wasn't as memorable as my first visit.

Chicago has been in my mind, recently, as I've participated in the Route 66 virtual challenge from The Conqueror Virtual Challenges. Having started the trek at Grant Park, I was in familiar territory. Wandering the streets, through Google street view from the app, I 'wandered' over to Buddy Guy's.

I could almost hear blues music coming through the doors.

No comments:

Post a Comment