Monday, October 31, 2022

Back to Virtual Travel

Not that I had ever stopped my virtual challenges.

Even when DW and I were in Portugal, I was counting my steps toward my Appalachian Trail challenge, which I had started on June 30. The bike ride that we took, from Cascais toward Cabo da Roca, also gave me another 20 kilometres. I had figured that I would only cover about 10 kms, maybe 15, while we were on vacation but most days exceeded those distances: a couple were nearly 20K; one day, we surpassed 26.

Even after we returned and came down with COVID-19, I managed to travel a bit—though, only from a half kilometre to two kilometres on the worst days. But every step went toward my virtual challenge.


Last Thursday, I finally finished the Appalachian Trail challenge, completing the 3,167.6-km route in 119 days, at an average of about 26.6 kms a day. I finished the challenge exactly one week earlier than I had given myself to complete it.

Not bad.

I was considering stopping my virtual challenges with this latest route. I've now completed 10 and I still haven't found a suitable space to place the existing nine medals that I've received from The Conqueror. I was going to call it quits but then I reminded myself of how well these challenges have been able to motivate me to be active.

A gym membership wasn't nearly as motivational. The last membership I had cost me way more, each month, than any single challenge has (about $35 per challenge, and most take me more than a month to complete—the last one took me four months!).

These challenges have motivated me to march on the spot while I'm in a video meeting with my work colleagues. I'll also march in one place while watching TV. Not all the time but often. And I'll pace around our kitchen island while I'm waiting for the microwave to finish heating up leftovers.

When the weather prevents me from heading out on my road bike, I climb upon my spin bike in my bedroom. I get some cycling in nearly every day.

And so, as my Appalachian Trail challenge was coming to a close, I sought out a new challenge. It had to be at least 300 kms long, if not more.

At 1,688 kms, the Estrada Real, in Brazil, meets that requirement. The challenge starts at Casa da Gloria, a mansion in Diamantina that is now part of the Geosciences Institute of the Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais. It passes through some interesting towns that have preserved their Baroque architecture and ends in Magé, a district of Rio de Janeiro.

I started this challenge on Friday (no rest for the wicked) and I'm hoping to complete it by December 31. Wish me luck.

So when will I stop participating in these virtual challenges? Maybe when I run out of challenges that are under 300K or maybe when I run out of challenges, altogether.

Maybe when I wear out my body. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment