Friday, December 15, 2023

Stalled

We had ordered the wood on the day before I found out that a surgical cancellation would bump me up on the list. Though this was a project that DW wanted to lead, my help was essential.

Kid 1, who was recruited to help DW, is strong but there are some pieces of our bedroom furniture that even I struggle to move.

DW and I made significant progress, removing the carpet from the hallway, the study, and Kid 1's bedroom. We had removed all staples, tightened and added more screws to ensure the subfloor was solid, and installed the nosing for the top of the stairs and along the base of the bannister.

But that was only the first weekend. The following week was busy with other things. DW had started a new job and was fully involved with going to the gym and playing pickleball. Her weeknights were pretty busy.

And of course, last Friday, I went in to the hospital to have my appendix removed, which has effectively taken me out of action until January. I can barely bend over and I'm limited to lifting no more than about 7 kgs.

Over the weekend, DW and Kid 1 started laying the first of the hardwood. They started in the hallway at Kid 1's bathroom and, when they reached the entrance to her bedroom, made a sharp left and laid the wood in a straight line all the way to the far wall.


And stopped.

Weeknights are hard: Kid 1's job has her working two nights out of the week and DW still tries to work in the gym and pickleball. And some friends invited us to dinner, one evening, to celebrate Hanukkah with them.

Friends take priority over reno projects.

So, no progress has been made this week on the reno project. Our friend who had loaned us his tools, who also attended this week's dinner party, learned of the lack of progress and has offered to help, this weekend.

DW can use the extra muscle and expertise.

I'll do my part by staying out of their way. I have a couple of video projects that I'm working on. I'll go to a quiet spot in the house and keep my head down. Perhaps, every once and a while, I'll cheer them on and take some pictures to document the progress.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment