Thursday, December 7, 2023

The Wait is Over

The bad new is that the pain is back: the good news is that it won't be back for long.

At the beginning of July, I experienced sharp pains on the right side of my abdomen. A few days later, on the eve of my first-ever art show, I learned that I had appendicitis and needed surgery. Stat.

One of the ultrasound images, from July 5, that confirmed I had appendicitis.

Only, that surgery never happened because, after a CT scan at the hospital, we learned that I also had a massive infection that surrounded my appendix. To remove the appendix, the surgeon would also have to remove about half of my colon.

No thanks.

Instead, I was given strong antibiotics and had to wait it out. You can read more about it here.

While the antibiotics took care of both the infection and the appendicitis, the surgeon told me that there could be as high as a 30-percent chance that the appendicitis could return. I told her that I wanted the odds to be lowered to zero, and to simply remove the useless appendage.

She agreed but said that I was overdue for a colonoscopy, and she wanted to do that first, to make sure there were no other complications, as there had been to prevent her from performing the appendectomy. A couple of months later, her examination showed no abnormalities.

So, she put me on a waiting list for surgery, saying that it could take a few months, unless my condition changed. I stressed that I needed the surgery early enough so that it wouldn't interfere with my travel plans, in late January (it's hard to believe that Costa Rica is only six weeks away!).

Last week, I received a call from the surgeon's office that a cancellation had come up, and I was asked if I would be able to come in on December 8.

Tomorrow's the date.

It's funny: over the past few days, I've felt a dull ache near my appendix. The feeling is similar to how I felt at the beginning of July, just before the ache became acute. Is it all in my head or is tomorrow's surgery perfect timing?

I don't care. After tomorrow, the pain will be gone and my fears of a second appendix attack will be put behind me.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment