Friday, January 19, 2024

Dry-ish January

It's not by design; it's just turned out that way.

On New Year's Eve, DW and attended a dinner party at a friend's house. It was a pot-luck dinner, so we brought a salad, some wine, some bubbly for midnight (though, initially, I suspected we wouldn't stay that late), and some beer.

I knew that our hosts would have lots of beer already, so I brought a dozen cans of non-alcoholic IPA for anyone who wanted to take it easy, especially if there were those who were going to drive home.

I was planning to drive home and I wanted as little alcohol in my system on that journey.

During the dinner, our hosts opened a bottle of port wine. Having a weakness for this Portuguese specialty, I partook with a very small glass. But I stuck to the non-alcoholic beer as my bevvy of choice.

At midnight, I had a sip of sparkling wine to welcome in 2024 but after the initial "Happy New Year!" clinking of glasses, I put my glass down and didn't return to it.

Any R.I.D.E. road block would not have an issue with my alcohol consumption that night (even though we didn't encounter one).

One of my two pints.
For the next 10 days, I didn't have any alcohol. Though I wasn't participating in Dry January, I was keeping relatively dry. And in the past week or so since I noticed that I hadn't cracked open a can of beer or poured a glass of wine, I've only had two cans of beer.

It's not on purpose: I just haven't felt the urge to drink, not that it's really ever an urge.

My drink of choice this month? Water.

I have a travel thermos that I pack with ice cubes and then fill with water. The ice lasts for at least a day and I top up the thermos with water as I run out. I keep the bottle with me as much as I keep my smartphone, and I'm keeping hydrated.

Alcohol-free.

I know this trend won't last. DW and I are heading to Costa Rica in about another week and I plan to try the local beer and sip cocktails when they are available. Whatever Dry January I've followed until then will likely come to an end.

So, for me, this has been a Dry-ish January. How about you? Are you abstaining from alcohol consumption this month? How's it going? Leave me a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment