Friday, January 26, 2024

Trial and Error

As a photographer, I often see something in the ordinary and think that there's something worth capturing, worth retaining for future reference or to share.

I think I must have said, many times, that it's better to take a bad photograph than no photograph. I mean, if you see something that strikes you as being worthy of capturing as a photograph, take the shot. If you later find that that something was not photo-worthy, there's no harm. You just delete the shot.

But if you don't take the photograph, you may always wonder what could have been. And it may very well have been a great shot.

Take a couple of weeks ago.

I awoke as I do every workday morning: straight into the shower. Just before we started our reno project but after my appendicitis surgery, our shower stall developed a leak, which came through into our dining room. So until I can cut a hole into the ceiling and fix the leak, DW and I are sharing Kid 1's bathroom.

On this particular morning, Kid 1 got to the shower before me, and when the bathroom was available, there was condensation on the mirror and on the window. As I looked out the hazy window, I noticed that the sun, which had risen only a short time earlier, was trying to show itself in a gap of cloud. There was a warm, orange glow despite it being absolutely frigid outside.

I thought the light through not only the condensation but through the window screen made for an interesting picture. So I retrieved my smartphone and took a quick snap.

It might be a worthwhile shot, I told myself, or maybe it won't be. I wasn't wearing my glasses, so I could only see a fuzzy image and wasn't even sure if the photo was in focus, but I got something.

I took my shower and didn't give the photo another thought for several hours.

When I did, I was glad that I took the time to take the shot. While it's not a great image, it's not terrible. I did some subtle editing, cropped it to a square, and saved it.


What do you think?

It's better to take a bad photograph than no photograph at all, and I'm glad I took this one. I feel it captures a mood of a morning where the sun was trying to get through three obstacles: the clouds, the condensation, and the screen. It was my only view of the sun for that day and I would have regretted not snapping the photo.

And, had we not been sharing Kid 1's bathroom, I might not have seen the sun all day.

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment