Friday, July 19, 2024

Still Dry

Overall, it hasn't been much of a challenge.

There have been a couple of situations where it might have been nice to have a pint of beer, a glass of wine, or a cocktail. But I weathered those instances like a champ.

Like the time I met a friend for drinks at one of Ottawa's breweries. My friend had arrived before me, and when I joined him he was already enjoying a dry-hopped amber ale. It looked good.

Yet, when our server asked me what I'll have, I asked if they had any non-alcoholic beer, and my friend's eyes almost bulged out of their sockets. I explained to him how I was going dry for July and that as much as I liked the beer from this brewery, I couldn't partake.

Play Lager

They did have a non-alcoholic brew—not of their own but from a brewery in Perth. I like what that brewery produces so I agreed to try it.

It wasn't bad. It's a lager (not one of my favourite styles) and it had a decent, biscuity malt, and was easy to drink.

I had two.

Corona Sunbrew

I've also been to a karaoke night, at a bar, and I learned that they had Corona's non-alcoholic option, so I tried one bottle. It came with a lime wedge in the mouth of the bottle, and I promptly squeezed the fruit and shoved it down the neck.

Folks, the lime was the best part of this brew. Without it, the contents of the bottle would be practically flavourless. When I finished that bottle and the server asked if I wanted another, I switched to Perrier water.

It was far more satisfying.

I've also gone away for a weekend at a cottage, and I brought more of the Perth Brewery lager. Though everybody else at the cottage was drinking alcoholic beer or wine, I didn't feel left out.

For the most part, I've been drinking sparkling water or lemonade, or even tap water. One evening, out for dinner, while everybody had cocktails, wine, or beer, I had a virgin margarita.

So far, Dry July hasn't been much of a challenge. Not really.

Though, there are times when I ask myself why I'm doing this, why I feel the need every couple of years to deny myself of having a strong drink.

It's to show that I can't be pressured to drink.

My beer fridge is filled with cans of beer from various breweries. I stocked my fridge at the end of June. There are also five cans of non-alcoholic beer: a Guinness 0 and more of the Perth Brewery's Play Lager. But I haven't touched any non-alcoholic beer, even, in almost two weeks.

Going dry, even at the peak of patio season, can be done. Here's to all of those who make the decision to say no to booze.

I know you can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment