Friday, August 26, 2011

Photo Friday: Copycats


The other day, when we were in Provincetown, MA, my eyes couldn't help wandering towards the town's number-one landmark, the Pilgrim Monument. It's a 252-foot tower that was built from 1907 to 1910 as a dedication to the pilgrims that first landed in the area, in 1620.


As I looked at the monument, I couldn't help think that I had seen this tower before. But where? It certainly looked Italian, and I wondered if it was reminding me of one of the towers that I had seen when I was in Italy in 2004 and 2009.

At first, I thought it might be similar to the tower on the town hall building in Florence—just much taller. Perhaps.

Maybe it was like one of the towers in San Gimignano. There certainly were enough of those. But no, this tower was too ornate for the residents of that medieval hilltown.

And then it dawned on me: I had a bunch of photos from my last trip to Italy. They were stored on my iPhone. So I started looking.

It didn't take long, and the results were astounding.


Apart from the color of stone used, the bell on the top of the Sienna tower, and the windows up the column, the towers are identical.

Copycats.

No comments:

Post a Comment