Monday, February 9, 2015

Music Monday: Are We Connected?

In three short weeks, I will be celebrating a half-century of life, and I'm hoping to be surrounded by friends and family, and with those of you who feel a connection to me.

As luck would have it, one of my favourite musicians of all time will be on tour, and he will be coming to the Ottawa area in time for me to celebrate this milestone birthday.

What you may not realize is that Midge Ure had a huge influence on me when I was a teen. In 1980, as my musical tastes were expanding, I discovered the New Romance/New Wave music scene, and fell in love with the music of Ultravox. I played Vienna until the grooves in the vinyl began to wear, and I had to replace the album. I followed this band closely, buying new releases before I had even heard a single track from the album.

My high-school graduation writeup gives a nod to this band.

When I created Roland Axam, I modeled his appearance after Midge Ure.

In my novel, Songsaengnim: A Korea Diary, I give a nod to Midge Ure and one of his great songs, "The Leaving (So Long)."

I sing a lot of songs around the house, and I usually sing either a Midge Ure or Ultravox song at least once a week.

Midge Ure is a big deal to me.

I hope you come to his show, on Tuesday, March 3, at the Black Sheep Inn.

A couple of days ago, when I was driving to my local LCBO, I was playing Midge Ure loudly in my car. As I pulled into the parking lot, a song was playing with heavy bass, making the windows on my car vibrate. I saw heads turn. I saw people stop and take notice.

I've never felt so bad-assed in my life.

I owe it to Midge Ure and his song, "Are We Connected." Have a listen. Play it loud. Feel bad-assed.



Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment