One of the things on my list was finally achieved this past weekend: I rode the sled down the boardwalk during Québec City's Carnaval. And I essentially did it for free.
The cost of borrowing a cushioned, wooden toboggan and dragging it up a steep slope, riding down an icy lane off the Dufferin Terrace, down 82 metres and over 152 metres, and reaching speeds up to about 90 kph, was totally worth the $3 cost. Only, the attendant at the top of the run didn't take my ticket, nor one of my kids', and so the girls got to go down one more time.
The view is gorgeous, looking down the escarpment toward the Chateau Frontenac, with the old town further below and the St. Lawrence River to your right.
One more thing off my To-Do list.
The other things I think every Canadian should do are as follows, in no particular order:
- See Niagara Falls from The Maid of the Mist
- Build a sand castle on Cavendish Beach, PEI
- Skate the full length of the Rideau Canal, in Ottawa, during Winterlude
- Drive the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
- Whale watch in St. Andrews, in the Bay of Fundy, in New Brunswick
- Watch the tide come and go from the Hopewell Rocks, also in the Bay of Fundy
- Visit Gros Morne National Park, Newfoundland
- Celebrate Carnaval, in Québec City
- Take in the Just For Laughs Festival, in Montreal, Québec
- Walk the sandbar to Percé Rock, on the Gaspé Peninsula, Québec
- Take in the busker festival in Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Visit Lake Louise, in Banff National Park, Alberta
- Photograph Saskatchewan grain elevators at sunset and sunrise
- Ski at Whistler, BC
- Have a picnic in Stanley Park, Vancouver
- Visit the BC legislature building, in Victoria, at night
Get out there and see Canada!