Friday, February 3, 2017

Photo Friday: Sun Dog or Cat's Eye?

It's called a Sun Dog.

It's a type of halo phenomenon that occurs when ice crystals and light that is produced from the sun interact. It can sometimes look like a rainbow that circles the sun or it can just be a partial fragment. They are especially visible when the sun is close to the horizon.

As I drove to work, on Tuesday, with the temperature plummeting to the minus 20s with the wind, a thick fog was shrouding the Rideau River. As I drove along Prince of Wales Drive, the sun was just starting its morning climb, and was burning through that river mist.

I saw the optical apparition, and left the road, moving far off the shoulder to be well out of the way of my fellow commuters.

I ran to the back of my car and pulled my camera out of the trunk, and then moved to the front of my car, creating a barrier between me and the traffic.

They call it a Sun Dog, but when I saw the images played back on my little screen, they reminded me of cat's eyes. Or, possibly, of a snake's.

What do you think?



Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment