Monday, May 14, 2018

A New Angle

I've been suffering from a writer's block for a little over a week, but I haven't tired of picking up whichever of my cameras is nearest to me.

It's tulip season, after all, and my back yard is teeming with yellow, orange, and red blooms.

Every year, I head out to the Ottawa Tulip Festival and take photographs at Dow's Lake, or along Colonel By Drive, or at various locations downtown. I find myself taking similar pictures each year, where I either zoom in on a particular flower or I take a wide-angle shot and capture as many tulip heads as I can.

Last week, when I discovered the tulips in my back yard, I decided to do something different, and so I stepped down into one of my basement window wells, behind the tulips, crouch, and shoot from below.

You can see my first shot in last week's Black and White Project photo.

The next day, on my way home from work, I decided to stop and photograph the flowers that had opened at Dow's Lake, on the first day of the Tulip Festival. I already knew how I wanted to capture the flowers.

Armed with my D-SLR and my 10-20mm lens, I set the lens at its widest angle, opened the aperture to a medium size, placed the camera in the dirt, at the base of the flower beds, slightly tilted upward.

You can see the results, later this week, for Wordless Wednesday.

The next morning, as I was getting ready for a late breakfast, I saw that my tulips had opened to greet the sun. I decided to grab my smartphone, crawl back into the window well, and shoot again, from behind and below, as I had done with last weeks project shoot.

Same flowers, but in colour and from a slightly different direction.


It took a couple of days of playing with flowers at low angles to get me to write something. Hopefully, my writer's block will end soon.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment