Monday, September 24, 2018

Claudette Cain Park

I feel kind of stupid to be writing about my silly photo challenge while many people in our city are still without power, or worse, without homes.

Friday's tornadoes in the Ottawa-Gatineau region were pretty scary, no matter where in the area you were. The tornado that struck the Arlington Woods area and passed through Craig Henry and Tanglewood, where the Merivale power station was completely destroyed, and continued all the way through the Colonnade Road business park, were wooden poles were snapped like match sticks, was only about four kilometres to the north of my neighbourhood. DW and I were driving on Fallowfield Road when the tornado warning came over our smartphones and radio, and we could see the dark clouds along Hunt Club Road.

The other tornado, which devastated Dunrobin before it crossed the Ottawa River, into Gatineau, and wreaked more havoc on Mont Bleu, was only a couple of kilometres away from my office building. As I write this post, I don't even know if I will be met with electricity at work.

But I'll still go in and see.

Still, I have this insignificant photo challenge, and yet I hope it will divert people's attention from the stressful weekend, and give us a look at one of the many lovely spots in Ottawa.

Last week, I provided a photo for Where In Ottawa but only gave three-and-a-half days in which to solve it. At most, only three clues would be offered in addition to the photograph. But James Peltzer, who I think holds the record for solving my photo challenges, didn't even need the two clues I had provided.

James just happened to be in Claudette Cain Park, in Riverside South, near the Vimy Memorial Bridge, when he walked along the same path that led to the gazebo in my photo.


Way to go, James.

For those of you who were following the clues, here they are, explained.
  1. Started as a farm: James Moodie, who immigrated from Scotland to the Ottawa area in 1840, bought land for a farm and a cemetery. Only the cemetery remains.
  2. From the cradle to the grave: Claudette Cain Park, named after Gloucester's final mayor before the amalgamation with Ottawa, has a water and play area, as well as a small, gated cemetery. It's the only park in the City of Ottawa, in fact, that has a playground and a cemetery. So you can, in essence, spend time here from when you're very young until you're ready to shuffle off.
I also like this park for its views of the Rideau River and Vimy Bridge. This park is worth a visit.


Where In Ottawa returns in October. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment