Thursday, September 13, 2018

Throwback Thursday: That Time in East Berlin

Despite the sun, a haze obscured stark shadows on the pavement, making them grey, rather than a clear contrast between light and dark. I looked at the small hut, in the middle of Friedrichstrasse, and thought that it looked simple, easy to walk past.

Only the much larger barriers, beyond, where the low observation towers and grey, simple walls indicated a clear demarcation between west and east, made me nervous.

My camera bag was slung over my shoulder. Every component of photographic equipment—the lenses, flash, filters—was neatly organized into its own compartment and pouch, for ease of inspection. The micro-cassette recorder in a slim partition, between the flash and the camera body.


I walked to the American hut, Checkpoint Charlie, with my passport in hand, but the officers within didn't seem to want to bother with me. They didn't care who was heading into east, communist-controlled sector of Berlin. I smiled and continued to the Soviet-controlled checkpoint.



Security was tight. Single file through a narrow passage. Lots of unsmiling faces with their cold eyes, unwavering. My passport was carefully inspected: even the blank pages were scrutinized. The man, expressionless, asked me my business in East Berlin. Tourist, I said.

I had to exchange some West German marks for East German currency, which was as small and thin as cigarette paper. An admission fee into this walled territory, which was almost like a history museum unto itself. I explained that I would only be visiting for a couple of hours, would be returning the way I had entered. After examining my camera bag, I was reminded to not photograph anyone in uniform: neither police nor military.

Friedrichstrasse, beyond the wall, was bleak. Pre-war buildings, which had been bombed when Berlin had been flattened but managed to partially stand, were sealed up with drab, grey concrete. Many blocks were still devoid of structures. I felt vindicated in making the decision, before crossing into East Berlin, to place a roll of black-and-white film into my camera.


The wide boulevard of Unter den Linden ran east and west, its center strip lined with trees of various sizes. Had some survived the war? To the west, I could just make out the Brandenburg Gate; to the east, buildings that were still blackened by soot, smoke, and whatever pollution had painted them over the decades since World War II. I decided to head east, toward the opera house, the Zeughaus, cathedral, and the 1960s TV tower, Fernsehturm.



Even in communist Germany, scaffolding would find its way to cover historic buildings. The old city hall, or rathaus, would conceal its Renaissance facade for my visit. In the neighbourhood around




















No comments:

Post a Comment