Monday, November 19, 2018

Defense of Hong Kong Memorial

I was hoping that you regular contest players would jump right on this one. And while I thought you would resolve this challenge right away, you didn't disappoint by doing so by Wednesday night.

On the first day of last week's Where In Ottawa, I wrote that the photo challenge was related to Remembrance Day celebrations and honoured those who gave the ultimate sacrifice to maintain our freedom.

And while there are a fair number of monuments that are dedicated to our fallen, I had hoped that my clues would have honed in on the Defense of Hong Kong Memorial Wall, at the corner of Sussex Drive and King Edward Avenue.


Congratulations to one of my beer buddies and regular player, John MacNab, this month's winner.

Unveiled in 2009 to commemorate the 1,975 Canadians who sailed to Hong Kong in 1941 to assist the British in defending the colony against the Japanese invasion. In a 17-day battle, some 291 Canadians were killed, another 500 were wounded.


There is one error in a clue that I provided. I said that the battle began the same day as the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. In fact, the Battle for Hong Kong began the following day, on December 8, and ended with a full surrender on December 25.

No need to go over the clues at this point, right?


You can read more about the battle here.

Where In Ottawa returns as soon as I am mobile enough to get out there and explore the city.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment