Monday, November 5, 2018

The Last Stand

I'm counting the days.

It's 10 days until my reconstructive foot surgery. Ten days until they chisel some bone out of my hip and fuse it to the bones in my left foot. I know, sounds like a dream.

I've told the doctor that if, when he cuts into me, it looks far too complicated, if the osteoarthritis is too much to get through to where the bone is broken and the area that needs repair, to just take the whole foot off.

But put it in a glass jar for me to put on display.

In some ways, time has dragged on while I've waited for this operation. Now, as the days approach single digits and the cold weather sets in, I'm starting to panic that I'm running out of time. There are so many things that I want to do and I only have 10 days in which to get them done.

I realize that I've been somewhat of a recluse this year. There are people I haven't seen in months, or longer. I've kept to myself and my family, allowing me to display my pain and discomfort. I want to be with friends before I'm down to one foot upon which I can support myself.

This Friday will be my last Friday in 2018 when I can stand on two feet. And because my time on both feet is limited, I want to spend next Friday with friends, enjoying laughs, a few pints, and doing something I like to do but don't do very often.

Sing.

This is an open invitation. If you would like to meet this Friday, November 9, from 9pm onwards, to share a pint and sing your face off, come out to O'Brien's Eatery and Pub, at 1145 Heron Road, near Bank Street.

It'll be my last social outing, where I can stand on my own, until sometime in February of next year. And trust me: I'm not going to want to go out very often on crutches, in the snow.

That reminds me: I have only 10 days left to get out with my camera and take some photos. Who wants to carry camera gear on crutches, either?

Hope to see you on Friday.


No comments:

Post a Comment