Friday, February 5, 2021

Oldest

I don't mean to do it but I'm guilty of ignoring this building or, at the very least, not giving it the attention that it's due.

After all, it is the oldest stone building in Ottawa. It's been there since 1827.

When I visit the set of locks of the Rideau Canal, I look at the marvel of their construction, poised between the Chateau Laurier and Parliament Hill. My eye naturally fall to the castle-like design of the stately hotel or the majesty of our seat of government. In the summer, at sunset, the reflections on the water easily take all of your attention.

It truly is one of the most beautiful settings in our city, if not the world.

Perhaps it's because the Commissariat Building is now a museum, one that I had visited often as a child, on school trips, that I dismiss it now. Been there, seen that.

But it deserves our respect. It deserves some focus.

So, on the last day in January, I dusted off my neglected camera gear and headed downtown, with one objective: to capture this building.

The Commissariat Building was built as a depot for supplying provisions to various construction sites along the northern part of the canal. It was also used as office and residential space for officials who were overseeing the supplies. Colonel John By, who commissioned the construction of the canal, likely paid the Commissariat Building a visit.

The building is now home to the Bytown Museum (Bytown was the original name of Ottawa).


Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment