Tuesday, February 23, 2021

To The End and A New Beginning

When I set out to accomplish my virtual Camino de Santiago challenge, I initially set out a conservative 16 weeks in which to complete the 773.9 kilometres from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, in southern France, to Santiago de Compostela, in northwestern Spain.

I'm lazy, after all, and didn't think I'd get my butt into gear every day. And while there were a couple of days when I just didn't feel motivated to get on my spin bike, I did cover at least a few kilometres, on foot, moving about my day.

When I saw that I was pulling ahead of the pace car, I reset my goal to 10 weeks, and again, a week later, to eight weeks.

I finished in fewer than seven. Forty-seven days. The last day was accomplished with more than three kilometres of snowshoeing through deep snow and forests, by pedalling on my spin bike for 16 kilometres, and walking for more than a kilometre around the house.

While I'm taking a minute to pat myself on the back, I really have the app, The Conqueror Virtual Challenges, to thank for lighting the fire under my butt, as well as my love of maps and my love of travel. Because of this app, I have wanted to see what lay ahead of me, on my virtual trek, and I would look ahead on the map. I'd pick a distance and then, after a day of work or at the end of the day, I would hop on my spin bike and watch something on TV while I pedalled. I would add up my steps that had accumulated through the day. And I would plug in my stats.

I loved wandering the towns and villages, through Google Maps street view. I would look up some destinations on YouTube, watch a few videos, and add these places to my list of travel destinations.

I initially balked at the cost of these travel routes on The Conqueror, but the cost is much lower than a gym membership and even more motivating. Because DW and I have friends who have joined our community, we feel that we're not doing the Camino de Santiago alone. DW and the others, who have been keeping within a few kilometres of each other, often chat online about what they see, where they should meet for drinks, and where they should 'stay' at the end of the day.

When DW and I downloaded the app and purchased the Camino de Santiago challenge, we also bought a second challenge, a 1,744.2-km venture from Lands End, in the southwest tip of England, to John O'Groats, at the tip of northern Scotland.

DW is far behind me but has decided to complete the Camino de Santiago trek and simultaneously start the UK trek. I'd like to start the UK trek on Monday, March 1, and DW will begin counting her cycling distances to that journey, reserving her walks for the Spanish pilgrimage.

How about you? Would you like to join us for the next challenge? Have you been looking for an exercise regime that you can safely do during this pandemic? Download the app. Purchase the Lands End-John O'Groats challenge, and join the Bytown Blazers community.

And then get going on March 1.

I'm looking forward to this trek. I hope to 'see' you on the path.

No comments:

Post a Comment