Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Do the Do

I know that I can't go to my barber because we are still in a pandemic lockdown, but even if I could go, I don't think that I'd want to.

First and foremost, the leader of my province is inept and has shown throughout this pandemic that he's more interested in keeping businesses open than he is in conquering the virus. But I will continue to stay home, except for essential shopping, and a haircut is certainly non-essential.

But I've also had a bad feeling ever since I had my last haircut, more than two months ago. As some of you might remember, my barber and I had a conversation about Christmas and how we planned to celebrate that day. I said I was staying home and that no one was coming over: he said that his wife wanted to have his entire extended family over because it was their Christmas tradition.

I tried to talk him out of that idea and left the shop believing that I had gotten through to him about how that was such a bad idea. But there was no guarantee that he actually cancelled his Christmas plans, especially because he told me that his wife was set on doing it.

The thought of that does not sit well with me.

Also, while he has done a decent job on my haircuts in the past, I've never left the shop thinking, wow, that's a great haircut. He's fine, but so is First Choice and I don't like to go there, either.

I did have a great barber a while ago, but she moved downtown and it became inconvenient for me to see her. I'm starting to think, though, that when things go back to "normal," I may seek her out again. She had me walking out after an appointment thinking, wow, that's a great haircut.

In the meantime, I find myself without a barber to cut my hair.

Last spring, as the first wave of COVID kept barber shops closed, and after months without a haircut, I got my young daughter to cut my hair. It wasn't bad but she felt a lot of pressure in doing it, and doesn't want to do it again.

DW thought that my two-plus months without a cut looked good, but I hated it. And so, on Sunday, I took matters into my own hands. For the first time, ever, I picked up our electric trimmer, slapped a number-3 guard on it, and went to town on my head.

There will be no full-on selfies of myself for a few weeks. And I now have another reason to stay indoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment