Thursday, March 18, 2021

The Long Trek

For almost every day since January 5, I've hopped on my spin bike and pedalled for anywhere from 30 minutes to more than an hour. There has only been one day (possibly, there have been two) where I didn't get on my stationary cycle machine, but on those days I did walk a few kilometres, at least.

Once, when I walked a long distance, as part of my virtual challenge treks, I only had a couple of kilometres to make up for my daily target, and was on my bike for a little longer than five minutes (hardly worth it, but the day was almost over and I couldn't cover the distance on foot before midnight).

At the time of writing this post, I have covered 1,131 kilometres over two challenges. Since the beginning of March, I've travelled just over 356 kms. To complete my current challenge, which is taking me from Land's End, in southwest England, to John O'Groat's, on the northern tip of Scotland, I still have 1,410 kms to go. I've just passed the 20-percent milestone.

I don't think that, in my best years of cycling, I've ever covered this kind of distance in a year. Even when I was training for the Rideau Lakes Cycle Tour, did I get anywhere close to 2,000 kms.

Signing up for these challenges has been very good for me. Already, with only 20 percent of my LEJOG completed, I'm looking at my next trek. I'm considering the St. Francis Way challenge, a 503K journey through Italy, and even the Pacific Crest Trail, a whopping 4,000K odyssey from Mexico to British Columbia.

Maybe, I'll do both.

If I choose the Pacific Crest Trail, I'll be completing this challenge into 2022. But that's okay. The way I feel these days, my new exercise regime isn't about to end any time soon.

I can't wait for better weather, when I'll be able to get on my road bike and in my kayak to add to my mileage. Riding on my spin bike has been fine (I watch TV while I pedal) but when I get off, I don't feel like I've really gone anywhere.

Until I look at the app and see where I am on a map. (Man, I can't wait until we can travel again!)

My Camino de Santiago medal arrived yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment