Tuesday, March 2, 2021

LEJOG

I'm off!

Just over a week after completing my virtual Camino de Santiago pilgrimage by using The Conqueror Virtual Challenges app and by either working out on my spin bike or by walking around the house, around my neighbourhood, or by snowshoeing on nature trails, I've started my next virtual challenge.

Yesterday, I started out from Land's End, in England's Cornish region, and covered nearly 23 kilometres to the town of Penzance. By the end of today, I'll be 'stopping' in Leedstown, another 19 kms away, passing St. Michael's Mount, which reminds me of a small imitation of Mont Saint-Michel, in Normandy.

And with any luck, I'll arrive at the finish line, in John O'Groats, on the northern tip of Scotland, in no more than 20 weeks.



I plan to do the same routine that I had for the Camino de Santiago trek: on weekdays, after work, I'll get on my spin bike to cover the bulk of my distance, aiming to arrive in the first town that comes closest to 20 kilometres or so. I like to end my day in a city or town, rather than the middle of nowhere. I'll use my steps to make up whatever shortfall I have from cycling.

As the weather improves and the snow disappears, I'll get on my bike and go even further. When it's warm enough to get in my kayak, I'll use my paddle distances toward my goal.

My wife is sticking with me on this journey, and we'd like to invite anybody who wants to take up this challenge to join our community, the Bytown Blazers.

These virtual challenges have motivated me to be active more than any other exercise regime or fitness class. And while the trails aren't cheap, they cost way less than a gym membership.

For those of you who simply want to follow me on my trek, I'll post updates, occasionally, to The Brown Knowser. If you follow me on Twitter, I'll share my journey a couple of days each week, using the hashtag #LEJOG.


Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment