Thursday, March 11, 2021

The New Normal

On March 10, 2020, I left the office at lunch time because I was feeling under the weather. I was exhibiting the signs of a head cold, something that is not uncommon at this time of the year. I packed up my computer and headed home, where I worked online for the rest of the day

On March 11, I worked from home because my head cold was settling in and I was going through tissues like they were going out of style. I was congested and felt tired, and the last thing I wanted to do was to pass it onto a colleague, especially because COVID-19 had come to Canada and was all that people were talking about.

My co-workers even joked that that's what I had.

On March 12, my head was so congested that I called into the office and said I was taking a personal day, to focus on clearing my head. I had a brief, online meeting with my director, who was in Seattle, and then took the rest of the day off.

I pumped myself full of cold and sinus medication, drank plenty of fluids, and slept. By late evening, I was feeling better but thought I should still stay home.

That decision was moot. On Friday, March 13, 2020, we were ordered to work from home. I've been working from home ever since. In the past year, I've only been to the office four times: twice, to bring office and personal items home. Once, because I had a problem with my laptop and needed IT to solve it. And finally, to bring my laptop back in for a network update.

In all four visits, my time in the office was brief, no more than an hour or two. My home office is set up perfectly for my needs and offers me the first window space that I've had in the nearly 14 years with the company.

I've saved money on breakfasts and lunches, which I usually bought at the cafeteria. I drink better coffee. I climb more flights of stairs for exercise (we had no stairs in my office building because we were all on the ground floor). Because I don't get up and chat with colleagues, I tend to focus more on my work and feel more productive.

When the pandemic ends, I don't see my work situation changing. This is my new normal. I will only go into the office if my presence is absolutely essential, which I doubt it would be. We were having video meetings before the lockdown, and even if I was in the office I often stayed at my desk and dialled in.

The only time that I would need to go in would be if my computer needs an update or problem solved, or if I need to go into our labs to see something that I can't see online.

While I miss the camaraderie of my co-workers, I really like how I'm more productive being on my own.

Of course, there's the adage that the only constant is change, but as long as I'm still employed with the same company, I don't see a change to my working environment.

Until it changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment