Thursday, January 6, 2022

Beer O'Clock: Blackfriars Bridge

Now that we're into the throes of winter, I like to cozy up in the evening with a darker sort of ale, such as a port or stout. And while I like a simple stout, compared to an Imperial-styled dark ale, I don't mind an extra touch of flavour.

The peanut-butter and raspberry milkshake stout that I reviewed at the end of last year was a decadent treat but it's not something that I would want to drink on a regular basis. But over the holidays, I picked up a couple of stouts that caught my eye and I wanted to focus on one of them today.

Because I tend to order beer for delivery from Ottawa-based breweries, I thought I would branch out and look at other breweries that are outside of the Ottawa area but are still within Ontario. Today's review is about a stout from a brewery in London, Ontario.

Blackfriars Bridge Vanilla Stout (6% ABV; 35 IBUs)
Toboggan Brewing Company
London, Ontario

Appearance: nearly black, this stout doesn't allow light to pass through it (I held a flashlight up to the glass and could not see anything); a creamy taupe head that settles to a thin cap and sticks to the sides of the glass.

Nose: cocoa and coffee. The Madagascar vanilla beans are too subtle to pick up in the aromas.

Palate: the vanilla melds beautifully with the cocoa flavour and there's an essence of cedar and espresso in the finish. The finish lingers and with subsequent sips leaves a hint of tobacco. This stout has a solid body that stands firm.

Overall impression: Blackfriars Bridge Vanilla Stout is a solid brew that is flavourful yet still easy-drinking. Though there is a higher level of alcohol on the stout spectrum, it does not taste boozy. This is an excellent brew to enjoy on a cold winter's evening.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺🍺

You can find Blackfriars Bridge Vanilla Stout at the LCBO or, if you live in the London area, you can order online (though, with COVID restrictions, check first with the brewery).

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment