Tuesday, March 22, 2022

More Brushes, More Celebs

Nearly nine years ago, I wrote a blog post about some of the celebrities I've met in the past. These were entertainers that I met before the Internet and social media made it much easier for a celebrity to notice that you existed.

The famous folks that I listed in that post crossed paths with me because of an internship that I did with the Ottawa Citizen when I was finishing up my Journalism program at Algonquin College. But these are not the only celebrities that I've met. Since then, since even before the days of Twitter, there are a few people that I've had the honour of rubbing shoulders with, so to speak.

Dan Ackroyd

Photo: Google

In the mid to late 1990s, I was a big wine aficionado, taking the sommelier program at Algonquin College, learning all I could about the nectar of the grape, and hanging out with like-minded wine lovers. I met and became good friends with Perry and Astrid, who worked in the wine industry, and I would help them at various events, pouring wine for judges, the general public, and famous folk.

One year, Perry and Astrid asked me to help out at a fundraiser just outside of Kingston, Ontario, which was hosted by food writer Gay Cook. I would be helping pouring wine for Chateau Des Charmes, from the Niagara Peninsula.

As people approached my table, the unforgettable face of Dan Ackroyd came up, his empty glass at the ready. He wanted something red and jammy, and I poured him a bold Cabernet Sauvignon. He loved it and returned for refills several times, happily engaging me in conversation every time.

At one point, he approached me and asked, "Do you have any more of that Cab?"

With a sad face, I replied, "I'm sorry, we're all out."

"Oh, really?" He seemed genuinely disappointed.

My serious face turned to a smile. "No, not really." I reached for the bottle and gave him a generous refill.

Mr. Ackroyd let out a genuine laugh which made my day. I had made a very funny man laugh at my own joke.

When we actually got down to our last bottle, I brought it, uncorked, to Dan's dining table. "Take this," I said, offering him the bottle. "It really is the last one." He shook my hand, thanked me, calling me by name, and took the bottle. (What I didn't tell him was that it was one of the bottles that had been given to me for helping out at the fundraiser and that we had already poured the last of it earlier.)

This happened shortly before Dan Ackroyd began putting his name on his own line of wine and I like to think that he was inspired to start his winery after that day. I know that I'll always remember that day.

Gord Downey, Rob Baker, and Gord Sinclair

Photo: Google

When Dan Ackroyd attended the Kingston fundraiser, he wasn't alone. Three members of The Tragically Hip were part of his entourage. The Kingston band was already big, with five albums under their belt, but they really seemed like they were just a bunch of fun-loving guys, happy to support a local cause. In addition to serving Dan, these fellows and their wives also came up to my table. After their first visit to my table, with Ackroyd, Gord Downey came back on his own.

"What's that wine that you poured for Dan?" he asked me.

I produced the Cabernet Sauvignon and filled Gord's glass. "Cheers," I said, and he raised his full glass to me before returning to his table.

My encounter with the band was limited to simply refilling their glasses as they returned for more wine. While I enjoyed meeting them, and they were all kind and polite, I never really engaged them in conversation like I did with Dan. But it was still a memorable time.

Steve Patterson

Photo: Google

I didn't see the host of CBC's The Debaters at first. It was his voice that gave him away.

I was with DW, her sister, and her brother-in-law at a very crowded Mill Street Brew Pub. We were waiting for an available table, were planning to have dinner before heading to a comedy show, where comedian Nikki Payne was headlining.

I made my way to the bar, where Pete (the regular evening bartender when I was a regular) was busy at work. I ordered pints for the four of us, and while I waited I heard a lively conversation next to me. I knew the voice right away.

I turned around and came face-to-face with Patterson. "Hey, you're Steve Patterson!"

"That's right, I am," he said with a smile.

"I'd know your voice anywhere." I introduced myself.

"I'll never forget your name," he said. "My brother's name is Ross."

"Good name."

I asked him if he knew that Nikki Payne was in town, if they were doing something together, but he didn't know she was in Ottawa. My meeting two comedians within hours was purely coincidental (I actually met Nikki and chatted with her after her show, and told her I had run into Patterson earlier).

I offered to buy Steve a beer but he said that he was just finishing up and would be heading out, but thanked me anyway.

I continue to listen to The Debaters and Steve's voice over the airways.

Sam Roberts

Photo: Brown Knowser

He wasn't even supposed to be there.

Several years ago, Kid 1 and I went to the National Arts Centre (NAC) to see an African drum show, but when we arrived, we learned that the show had been cancelled and that another show, with the NAC Orchestra, would take its place. We were promised a special guest.

We were disappointed as we took our seats but when we learned that Canadian rock icon, Sam Roberts, was the special guest, we were excited once again. We were both fans.

Mr. Roberts surprised us by playing the violin with the orchestra. He was quite good.

After the show, Sam was wandering the crowds to shake hands and say hello. When he came near us, we were eager to let him know that we enjoyed this surprise performance. I asked him how long he had been playing the violin and he told me that he still practiced for several hours a week.

Sam was so engaging and was not in a rush to move through the crowd, easily talking to us for about five minutes. I captured a photo of him and my daughter but I only had my smartphone, which didn't work very well in low light. The photo, sadly, was blurry.

But I've seen him in shows since, and have captured much better photos.

Kate Kelton

Photo: Brown Knowser
Years ago, when I had my Brownfoot Journal blog, I wrote a silly post that took inspiration from an episode of Friends, where Ross and Rachel made a list of five celebrities they would be allowed to sleep with, without repercussions, if the opportunity arose.

When DW and I first watched that episode, we immediately came up with lists of our own.

Over the years, that list changed for me, slightly, and I decided to write about it on my blog. I carried that post over to The Brown Knowser, years later.

One of the women on my list happened to read that post and reached out to me, through Twitter. That person is none other than Kate Kelton, who caught my eye in some 90s Tic Tac commercials and who I saw again, years later, in the film Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle.

Over the years, we have kept in touch: one time, she even set up a video chat so that we could speak, face-to-face.

We've lost touch, over the past few years, but Kate still remains one of my best brushes with celebrities. Dare I say that we're even distant friends?

Sarah Slean

Photo: Brown Knowser
The greatest brush with celebrities has to be when I met one of my favourite Canadian musical artists, Sarah Slean. We met, initially, through Twitter, and it was a great honour when she followed me back. But that wasn't the highlight of our meeting.

One year, on Canada Day, Sarah joined the NAC Orchestra for a free concert and my wife, kids, and I were in attendance. We managed to get seats that were only a couple of rows from the stage and right in front of Sarah's piano. Because I had my camera with me and there seemed to be no photo restrictions, I captured some great shots of Sarah in action.

After the show, Sarah sat at a table to sign autographs and we joined the line to meet her. Kid 1 held a CD for Sarah to sign; Kid 2, a poster.

I let the kids go ahead of me, and Sarah greeted them with a wide smile. She then looked up to their dad, had a double-take, and said, "We're Twitter buddies!"

I think my heart stopped. Sarah Slean actually recognized me! She knew that I existed!

We took photos together and had a very nice, but brief chat.

Photo: Brown Knowser
A couple of years later, DW, the kids, and I attended another concert, just outside of Carleton Place. It was an intimate setting in a restored barn, and we sat in the front row, anxiously awaiting Sarah to take to the stage.

The lights dimmed and Sarah emerged from back stage. As it was a small venue, she took the time to look out into the fully filled area, trying to see faces.

"Oh, it's so nice to see so many of you," she said, and then looked to the front row. "And friends," she added, looking right at me. It's a good thing the lights were dimmed, because I'm sure I was blushing.

Sarah took an intermission and, as she moved across the stage, reached out and took my hand in a gentle squeeze before moving backstage.

After the show, we stayed only briefly, as the kids were tired and wanted to go home. I was able to chat with Sarah and it felt like we were truly old friends.

Best brush ever.

What about you? What celebrities have you met? Leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment