Thursday, August 24, 2023

Beer O'Clock: Perroquet

I'm doing something that I told myself that I shouldn't do.

When I go shopping for beer at my friendly neighbourhood LCBO, I strive to pick up a varied collection of brews from different breweries and I try to also vary the styles of beer in my basket. I don't want to seem to favour one brewery over another nor do I want to focus strictly on IPAs or stouts.

Yet, on my last shopping trip to the LCBO, I pulled a couple of cans from the same brewery because I hadn't had any of their stuff in a while and I saw two different brews that interested me, even though both were modeled after an IPA. I also visited a Toronto brewery and came away with several selections of beer, which I feel that need sharing with you.

My fridge is almost empty so I'll try to return to my better-varied selection of beer soon. I plan to also shop for brews that are produced outside of Canada, as I really have neglected the international market.

I found a real winner of a brew in Le Trou du Diable's Les Quatre Serfeurs de l'Apocoalypso White IPA. I wrote a review a couple of weeks ago, if you missed it.

At the same time, right next to the white IPA on the LCBO shelves, was another style of IPA that caught my attention. With several parakeets (or macaws) painted on the label, I expected this ale to be full of tropical notes. I love this style of beer so into my shopping basket went two cans (not toucans: there were no toucans on the label).

Was I right about this style? Let's find out.

Perroquet IPA—Session North East IPA (3.5 % ABV; 60 IBUs)
Le Trou du Diable
Shawinigan QC

Appearance: pours a murky apricot, similar to grapefruit juice, with a foamy white head that settles to a thin cap.

Nose: tangerines and a hint of lychee.

Palate: there's a soft pine resin and grapefruit rind, with just a slight hint of orange citrus. Though this session NEIPA registers with a bitterness of 60 IBUs, they aren't bold. There's a medium body to the overall mouthfeel that reminds you that there isn't much alcohol in this ale, which lends credence to the session side of this NEIPA. The finish is short but as you drink more, the flavours leave a longer-lasting impression.

Overall impression: this is an easy-drinking summer thirst-quencher. It delivers the tropical fruitiness of a NEIPA but the gentleness of a session ale. And with the low alcohol level, you can enjoy more of them (though still, responsibly) in one sitting.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺

While I still prefer Les Quatre Serfeurs de l'Apocoalypso over Perroquet, I would happily take either one on a hot summer day. I'm glad that I put both styles of IPA in my shopping cart. You should, too.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment