Thursday, August 31, 2023

Strategy

For months, I've applied a strategy to playing Wordle. Never did I ever think that this strategy would ever have me solve the puzzle on the first try.

I always start with the same five-letter word. Actually, I say 'always' but I only started using this word every day a few months ago. Prior to then, I'd occasionally use this word but I'd usually start with a new word each day.

The word is AUDIO, which just happened to be the word for yesterday, August 30, 2023.

The reason that I had started using this as my first word was because it uses four out of the five vowels in the English alphabet. If one or two of them appear, I can often solve the puzzle within four guesses. The same is true if none of these vowels appears.

Then, at least I know that there's at least one E in the puzzle, and possibly a Y.

One time, when I used AUDIO, I had actually discovered that I successfully found the A, D, and I in the word, though in the wrong order. My next guess was DAIRY, which happened to be the word.

Getting the word in two guesses, to me, was like getting a hole in one. Getting the word on the first guess is tantamount to a miracle. And I've always raised an eyebrow when I've seen someone getting more than one miracle.

I don't ever expect to get the Wordle puzzle on the first try again.

Like so many people, I often share my results on social media. When I shared yesterday's win, a few people suggested that I'd have to find a new first word, but I disagree.

AUDIO is a great strategy word for the reason that I've stated above. It finds or rejects up to 80 percent of the vowels. Before I had started using this word as my exclusive first guess, I would sometimes start with RADIO, which uses three vowels and a commonly used consonant, R. But I think focusing on finding or limiting vowels to be of more use.

DW doesn't like my strategy. She says it takes all of the fun out of the game, but for me, strategy is part of the fun.

Sadly, when I exclaimed to her that I got the puzzle on my first guess, I spoiled it for her.

She knows my starting word.

No comments:

Post a Comment