Friday, September 6, 2013

Photo Friday: Upside-Down

Of all the photos I shot while my family and I were on our canoe-camping trip that took us from Kingston to Ottawa, my favourite was shot on the second morning, when we awoke at Jones Falls.

Jones Falls Locks, which connects Whitefish Lake to Sand Lake via four locks and a basin, climbs a total of 18 metres (almost 60 feet). When climbing from Whitefish Lake, three locks take you to a basin and there is about a 150-metre trek to the fourth lock. Near the final lock stands an old blacksmith shop that dates back to the 1840s.

It's a gorgeous site.

When we arrived, by canoe, at Jones Falls, we were too late to travel through the locks. Fortunately, the lock master had not yet left, and we were able to purchase a camping permit. We would stay on the grounds overnight and continue the next morning.

Unfortunately, the flattest ground and best spot upon which to set up our tent was at the top of the first three locks. It was a portage of more than 100 metres, all uphill. With approximately 200 lbs. of equipment, it was a multi-trip portage and Lori and I had to carry our food barrel together. This was after a five-hour paddle on a hot day. By the time we had carried everything, including the canoe (luckily, the ultra-light canoe only weighed about 40 lbs. and I could carry it myself, over my head), up the hill, we were exhausted, hot, and sweaty.

But the benefit was that we could swim in the basin, which was close to our tent. The water was ever so welcoming.

Every morning, I awoke shortly before seven, just after the sun had risen high enough to shine through the tops of the trees. As a ritual, I would get out of my sleeping bag, grab my camera, and step out of the tent.

The start of day three looked spectacular: not a cloud in the sky. I knew it was going to be a hot day, but we were going to make the best of it. We had a 20-kilometre paddle ahead of us, which would take us all the way to Newboro. Beyond that, some of the most challenging lakes were waiting for us.

But my attention was immediately drawn to the basin. The water was calm, the light was shining perfectly against the final lock and blacksmith shop. It was a picture-perfect image. I began snapping away.

I also had my iPhone on me, and I took the shot to post on Facebook, to let our family know where we were and that we were okay. But I also posted the image on Instagram, with a difference.

I posted the photo upside-down.

Nobody seemed to notice. CBC Radio reporter, Stu Mills, who is one of my Twitter buddies, tweeted to me in response to the photo, letting me know that he liked it. When I told him what I did, he complimented me further. Later, I told everyone on Facebook who liked the photo about the optical trick.

I love this photo right-side up. But I also really like it upside-down. For Wordless Wednesday, I showed the image as I shot it (other photos from Jones Falls include the photo of me, in my swim suit, looking into the locks, taken by my youngest, and yesterday's post of the camp site at night).

Here is the image, upside-down:



What do you think? Which do you prefer?

I took a similar shot at the Merrickville locks, but I think this one is the best.

Happy Friday!


BTW: This is my 600th post on The Brown Knowser! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment