Tuesday, January 3, 2017

POTD

It started on Sunday and will run until December 31. It's my new photo project, simply called Photo of the Day.

Or, POTD.

I know lots of photographers who post a daily photo through social media, and I've decided to take up the challenge. Every day, for the next 365 days, I'll take a new photo. There's no parameters under which the photo must be taken, but every photo must be original—no duplicate of subjects or of location—and the photo must be shared on the day it's taken.

Which means that I cannot take a series of photos at different venues in one day and spread the photos out over several days. Day 1 was shot on January 1st. Day 2 was shot on January 2nd. As of this blog publication, I haven't taken the photo for Day 3, but it will appear sometime on January 3rd.

For a creature of habit, this is a challenge. During the week, I plan to take my shot either on the way to work or the way home, which means that I will have to take different ways home or detours along the way. If I photograph a person, I won't be able to capture them again for this project.

Things were a lot easier with the Bate Island Project and the Hog's Back Project.

Since I've started this project, I've been to several places. On the first day, I went in search of an abandoned bus that was parked in a farmer's field, southwest of town. Because I had passed it several times through the year, when I was cycling, I thought I knew where it was, but I was wrong with my first assumption and ended up driving all over, from North Gower to Richmond. I finally found it, on Barnsdale Road, west of Twin Elm Road.



Because I had such great, late-afternoon light, I stopped at many other sites along my trek, capturing farm fields, what look like listening stations (a group of antennae, each with its own shed), and some trees filled with hundreds of crows (I posted one of those shots on Instagram and called it "Mass Murder").

Only the shot of the bus was used for my project. The same happened on the second day, when I took lots of pictures of people sledding at Mooney's Bay and then stopped at Black Rapids. The latter location became my venue for POTD.



So far, I've taken the photos with my Nikon D7200 and have then uploaded them to my tablet, where I've done my post-processing with Snapseed and posted them to Instagram and Flickr. I've also shared them on Facebook and Twitter. I may continue to use this process for all of the photos.

I may also use Prisma for some of the shots, as I'm still addicted to that photo app. I promise that I won't get carried away with these filter effects.

I have a couple of ideas for other photos, but I'll need 363 more. This will be the biggest photo project that I've ever done, and I hope that I can keep up with it, regardless of the weather, regardless of my health, regardless of where I am.

The only limits are my imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment