Friday, January 25, 2019

Photo Friday: Snowed In

One of the challenges of a Photo of the Week project, in Ottawa, in January, in winter, is that sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate.

Not that this week has been so entirely terrible. While I wouldn't have wanted to be on the roads this Wednesday and Thursday, under normal circumstances the other days of the past week haven't been that bad if you dressed for the weather. I've photographed in extreme cold temperatures in the past and if I've been prepared, the only thing that stops me is if my fingers start to freeze.

After all, there are times when you need to remove your gloves to adjust settings on the camera.

Under normal circumstances, I would have been out many times this week. But for me, I'm not living in particularly ideal circumstances.

I don't want to make this post about my foot, except to say that now that I'm able to walk on my Aircast, I have to explain that it offers little protection from the elements. There are vents all along it, which equates it with wearing a sandal over a sock. The wind cuts right through it. Also, with the bitter cold, the air that is pumped into the bags on either side of my foot shrink, lessening the support that I need.

With the snow that has fallen, the open-toed boot doesn't stop snow from being scooped inside. And so, this week, I have ventured outside only once. And even though I did bring my camera with me, I was not inspired to get out of my car along my journeys to and from the office.

For my photo project, my options were limited. I did consider taking some macro shots of the orchid that is starting to bloom, but I want to leave that to my other informal photo project, my Orchid Project on Instagram. For DW's birthday, the other week, my mother gave her another orchid, which is in full bloom, and I considered shooting that for this week's project, but again, I want to wait.

Instead, the weather gave me another opportunity by which I didn't have to stray far. On Wednesday, Ottawa saw nearly 30 cm of snowfall. There was no question that I would be working from home. Indeed, even DW said "forget it" to her commute and set up her computer in our dining room.

While my cast prohibits me from shovelling our driveway, it doesn't prevent me from giving advice. "It's easier to shovel the snow several times during the day," I informed DW, "than to wait until the snow stops falling and shovel it up at once. Plus, the temperature will be climbing as the day goes on, meaning the snow will become heavier."

At lunchtime, DW set out to clear part of the driveway, enough so that if she needed to get out, she could. Her vehicle stays parked in our garage, while mine sits in the driveway. DW didn't sweep off my car nor did she shovel behind my car, but she knew she'd be out again, later.

Shortly after she finished her first pass, I stepped into our garage to survey the snow accumulation. Already, her hard work was being covered over. I took a picture to document the first real snowstorm of the season.


DW would return to the driveway, later in the afternoon, for another round of shovelling. Later, when DD17 returned from school, she shovelled even more snow. A final shovelling was done after dinner.

Overnight on Thursday, mild temperatures brought freezing rain to our neighbourhood. Though our driveway was icy, it was mostly cleared. It would have been brutal to wait and shovel it at the end.

More snow is in our forecast. I may never go into the office again.

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment