Monday, January 14, 2019

Why Speculation Sucks

DW and I love following the news but we hate when a breaking story erupts, one that turns all eyes and ears upon it, and we're left with journalists who fill air time.

News anchors try to speak to reporters on the scene, who are scrambling to speak with witnesses and authorities. Some views are contradictory. Some refuse to provide information, as they are trying to gather it themselves.

Uncredited photo from CBC.
Such was the case on Friday, when an OC Transpo double-decker bus, filled to near capacity during a rush-hour commute, lost control and crashed into Westboro station. Part of the overhanging shelter cut into the upper level, killing two passengers and injuring nearly two dozen more.

A bystander on the platform was also killed.

When this tragedy unfolded, I happened to be a couple of blocks away, at the Westboro LCBO store. I was picking up some wine to take to a friend's house. As I left the store and headed toward my car, only five minutes after the crash occurred, I heard multiple sirens nearby but paid no attention. In the city, sirens are heard all the time.

As I pulled out of the parking lot and turned west, onto Richmond Road, I could see down Mcrae Avenue, to Scott Street, where emergency vehicles could be seen, blocking the intersection. Again, I gave it no more thought, and continued on my journey.

It wasn't until about a half-hour later, when I was relaxed at my friend's home and another friend joined us, late, that we heard the news. We turned on the TV and watched the story unfold.

There were few details provided, though what was known was repeated over and over again. Numbers of casualties grew. Fatalities were announced. We learned the bus driver was a woman. And we learned that police had taken her into custody.

More speculation from journalists. Why was she taken into custody? Was she at fault? Would charges be pressed?

All I could think of, for the rest of Friday night and through the weekend, was of this unfortunate bus driver. Fingers would be pointed. She would be vilified.

For me, I thought, this poor driver. She's going through hell. She needs our support.

When she began her shift, I'm sure the furthest thing from her mind was this horrific accident. I'm sure she didn't climb behind the wheel of her bus, thinking, I'm going to ruin the lives of countless people, both in my charge, those who witness the carnage, and those who know the dead and injured.

Her life has also been turned on its head. She's going to have nightmares, is going to be haunted for the rest of her life. She's going to need counselling.

Now is not the time to start pointing fingers, to get angry. We need to show our support for this poor person, let her know that our city is not on a witch hunt.

We need to stop listening to the reporters who speculate. Let's wait for the investigations to end, for the facts to be assembled, and to look for solutions so that this kind of tragedy can't happen again.

Speculation isn't always right. It is a waste of time, and that's why it sucks.


No comments:

Post a Comment