Thursday, February 21, 2019

Back in the Saddle

I had decided to leave the cast at home, to walk into the plaster ward of the Ottawa Civic Hospital on two feet that were covered only in winter boots.

The doctor noted the absence of the cast when he came into the examining room, minutes after the x-ray images had been captured. "Feeling confident, are we?" he asked.

I admitted that I hadn't worn my Aircast since the previous Sunday, told my surgeon that I've been trying to walk without it off and on for a couple of weeks. I added that I had started swimming again, though wasn't really using my legs to kick.

"That explains it," he said, his face as calm as a poker player's. "I have to say," he continued, "the results are... much better than I expected. Your bones are fully fused and you're ready for physio." I asked him about steroid injections for the osteoarthritis in that foot. "Why do you think you need them?"

"Because you've ordered them for me three times in the past," I said.

"Ross, a couple of years ago, when I told you that I could get rid of your pain, I meant all of it. I've removed the affected joints." He turned to the computer, which had two monitors, and called up some files. Today's x-ray images appeared on the left computer screen. He brought up the superior view, looking down to the top of my foot. He then opened a file that contained my initial images, before the surgery, and placed an image that was captured from the same vantage on the right screen. Using a pen as a pointer, he marked the region of the old image where some bones and joints occupied the space between my ankle and metatarsals.


I hadn't noticed earlier because of the eight screws and dog-biscuit-shaped metal plate, but I could now see where the navicular bone and transverse tarsal joint had been, and the now-vacant space beneath the hardware.

The screws where holding the medial cuneiform to the talus. The plate seemed to be reinforcing the lateral cuneiform. (I only made these closer observations after I left the hospital and could compare my x-rays to a diagram of parts of the foot. I feel smarter, now.)

"You should never require injections in this foot again," my surgeon told me.

I let that sink in and my eyes welled. I shook his hand, thanked him profusely. He added that I could start using my foot normally again, as flexibility would allow. The muscles on the bottom of my foot, my tendons, and my Achilles are, naturally, tight. It'll take some time to slowly stretch those out.

It's been almost a week since my good news and as I start to do more, it's becoming increasingly apparent that three months of minimal activity has taken its toll on me. A lot of muscle has changed to fat. I'm heavier than I've ever been. I breathe heavily if I climb two flights of stairs.

Though I've already started swimming again, I'm now going to kick it up a notch. I've added some exercise programs to my Samsung Health app on my smartphone. My watch is recording how many calories I burn. I plan to follow its fitness recommendations.

I'm going to watch what I eat: I've already declared a moratorium on potato chips (my kryptonite) and reduced my alcohol intake (you may have noticed that Beer O'Clock is once again on hiatus). DW, who is also on a quest to get her swimsuit body back in time for Mexico, is preparing healthier dinners. We've vowed to eat out less.

I've also climbed back onto my spin bike. The first time, on Tuesday night, I pedalled lightly, with little tension on the wheel and without standing, just to see how my left foot felt and how my tendons could handle gentle stretching. I cycled for only 15 minutes, just to warm up.

Yesterday, working from home, I followed a new workout regime on my phone, starting slowly, stretching muscles and joints that I've neglected over my recovery. When I dialled into a meeting, I fixed my laptop on the handlebars of my spin bike and rode for the entire hour.

It felt pretty good.

I'd like to lose at least 10 pounds by the time I leave for the Mayan Riviera, in less than five weeks. By the time I leave for South Korea, I'd like to be down another five to 10 pounds.

I won't be participating in the Rideau Lakes Cycle Tour this year, but by the time it comes, I'd like to feel as though I could.

At least, I'm back in the saddle again.


No comments:

Post a Comment