Friday, February 22, 2019

Photo Friday: White

I have a love-hate relationship with winter.

I love how snow looks in a photograph. I love snow on ski slopes. I hate everything else about winter.

Yet, to capture an image in the snow, you have to get out there, and this winter has been a challenge for me. Until last week, I wouldn't go outside without my left foot in a cast, and that cast did not like snow. Now, out of my cast, I find some soreness as my muscles and tendons remember how to work, and so I don't want to contend with ice.

Except for my commute home, immediately after my appointment with my surgeon. I was riding a high.

As I pulled out of the Civic Campus of the Ottawa Hospital, snow was falling and the wind was blowing. Looking out toward the Experimental Farm, I could see that the snow was falling intensely and I was inspired to make a stop to capture it.

I didn't have my D-SLR—in fact, I find I've lost the habit of carrying it with me. But the best camera is the one you have, and I had my smartphone with me. Good enough.

There are two great places to capture snowy roads on the Experimental Farm: Ash Lane, just before it meets Winding Lane, and Morningside Lane. I drove down both.

Because I shot the image with my Android phone, I used Snapseed to brighten the snow and revert the image to black and white. Sharing it on Instagram, I used one of their filters to further bring out the white.


I get chills just looking at it. Winter is best left to photographs.

Happy Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment