Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Fitness Regime

I would never call it a "diet."

After being relatively inactive for about three months, I noticed I was out of shape. My gut, which has been with me for a few years now, seemed noticeably bigger: I've gone from looking like I'm five-months pregnant to seven. My face, which has been showing its age more and more, had chubby cheeks and jowls.

I would see photos of myself and think, you are one ugly slob, dude.

I didn't like the way my overall mass was increasing but more to the point, I hated how it made me feel, both physically and emotionally.

A couple of weeks before my doctor gave me the green light to stop using my cast, DW and I would go swimming on Sunday mornings. With my cast, it was a bit of a challenge as I would hobble into the change room and strip down to my swim suit. DW would lock up our belongings and I would use my crutches to get to the pool. Once I was in, DW would carry my crutches to the side of the pool and lean them against a wall. She would bring them back to me after I finished my laps.

The first week that I tried swimming, I only had enough energy to complete 500 metres. Not bad, considering I hadn't been in a pool in more than six months. Once back home, though, I was exhausted and needed a nap.

With subsequent swims, I was able to extend my workout to 800 metres—half a mile. Not bad but I knew I was capable of so much more.

With our upcoming trip to Mexico only five weeks away, I made a promise to myself to drop some pounds and reduce the excess flab. At that time, I weighed 78.5 kilos—the most I've ever weighed. I vowed to work to lose about four-and-a-half kilos (10 lbs) by the time I left for the Mayan Riviera and an additional 4.5 kg by the time I left for South Korea.

Last Wednesday was the official start to this fitness plan. I set a goal with my Samsung Health app and started off slowly, doing basic stretching exercises that focused on my core. I also started riding my spin bike again: just 15 to 20 minutes at first, to make sure my foot could handle it. While I can't stand and peddle, I can ride at a steady pace with a moderate amount of tension on the wheel. I've ridden twice for 40 to 45 minutes each.

I'm watching what I eat, and though I mostly eat a fairly healthy diet, I've focused on moderation—smaller portions and no unhealthy snacks between meals (say goodbye, potato chips). I've only consumed two pints of beer all week.

Last Sunday, I managed to get in a full kilometre swim. I felt great. Even in the last 25 metres, I gave a strong front crawl without feeling tired. When I entered the stats for the workout into my phone app, it remembered my past swims and told me that this had been my fastest 1,000 metres ever.

Good workout and a record time. I felt good.

But the best part of my first week of working out came when I stepped on the bathroom scale. I had lost 1.3 kilos. That's nearly three pounds. Already, looking in the mirror, I can see where some of the fat has left my face (not all of it, but there's a start).

I feel motivated to continue. I've pulled out my Total Gym, dusted it off, and added it to my regime. I'm going to try to find the time to fit a second swim into my week. As my foot feels stronger and my flexibility improves, I'm going to use the rowing machine and elliptical trainer at the gym.

I'm now fewer than four weeks from my Mexican vacation. With this fitness regime, hopefully I'll feel fit to spend hours snorkelling with the sea turtles and will have the confidence to wear my swim suit in public without feeling self-conscious about my belly.

Fingers crossed.


No comments:

Post a Comment