Thursday, February 7, 2019

Nevermind

I asked myself a question: "Is the Photo of the Week project something that I want to do or is it something that I feel I have to do?"

Ever since my Bate Island Project, where I stopped on Bate Island every time I crossed the Champlain Bridge, stood in the same spot with the same camera lens, and composed the same photograph, I have looked to start one photo project after another. There was my Hog's Back Project; my 100 Strangers Project; my POTD project; my Black-and-White project.

And this year, my POTW project.

The project started off well enough: I was able to capture some late-afternoon images of the Rideau Falls, as the falling sun cast an orange glow through gaps in heavy cloud. There was the photo that I used from a model shoot, where I played with artificial light to create the illusion of natural light. There was also the snowy owl, who was captured with the lowered sun and a dark-sky background.

They were great shots. I've added them to a folder that I've started for collecting my favourite photos of the year.

But then came the lame photos—ones that I may have shared as quick Instagram posts, or not, but hardly qualify as blog-worthy photographs. Because the weather had confined me to the indoors, I didn't have an opportunity to explore better photo opportunities, and out of desperation I searched for subjects that could be captured without stepping out of the house.

Maybe it's the winter blues that are getting to me, but I just don't have the interest in pursuing another photo project. Not now, anyway.

I look down the road, at what I'm planning for later, when I'm no longer shackled by my cast, when I'll be able to walk normally. I'm going to Mexico in late March, South Korea in mid May. While I don't expect more than some beach photos in Mexico (maybe a visit to some Mayan ruins mixed in), I have countless photo opportunities planned for Korea.

As soon as I'm able to walk for extended lengths of time, I want to lead a photo walk (April, perhaps?). The summer also lends itself to myriad photo opportunities, so I'll have plenty of photos to share on The Brown Knowser.

Is the POTW project something that I want to do or is it something that I feel I have to do?

Right now, my mobility is limited—seemingly moreso than when I was using my peg leg. While unfavourable weather has always provided great photo opportunities, the recent weather has not been favourable to my condition.

I'm not into my current project. Right now, it's something that I feel I have to do because I set the goal for myself. But right now, it's not something that I want to do.

Photo Friday will continue but may not happen every week. Only if I want to share a photo that I find particularly worthy of sharing, or only if I want to share a photo effect, will I use Friday for photography.

I don't want to share lame photos, particularly when the theme of the post is the photo itself.



No comments:

Post a Comment