Thursday, March 28, 2019

Beer O'Clock: My Brew Floweth Over

Every time I look, Ottawa gains another brewery. Or two. Or... I don't know how many.

It's getting hard to keep track. At last count, we had almost 30 microbreweries in Canada's capital city, and there seems to be no end in sight.

I'm not complaining. Ottawa has some of the best craft beer I've ever tried. But I wonder how easy it is for a brewery to do well, knowing that there are several more eager to take money from beer lovers.

It's not enough to make good beer. You have to stand out from the other breweries, make people not only want to visit your brewery, but hang around and want to return.

More and more brew shops are attracting customers with spacious tap rooms, where you can enjoy a pint or two, munch on some nibblies, and hang around for a couple of hours. It's not enough that you simply pony up to a bar, try a sample, pick up some cans or bottles to bring home, and leave.

Think of brew pubs like Vimy, Tooth and Nail, Flora Hall, Stray Dog, Small Pony Barrel Works, Dominion City, and others. Each of these venues offers a comfortable environment to sit and enjoy some delicious suds.

But it now seems that beer lovers want more. They want to be entertained. So many breweries offer live entertainment: music, stand-up comedy, and cabarets.

Enter one of the newer breweries to enter the spotlight in Ottawa. (I'd say newest, but for all I know, another brewery has blossomed since. It's hard to keep up!)

Overflow Brewing Company (2477 Kaladar Avenue) opened last June, with its store's grand opening on Father's Day (sorry, I took mine to Tooth and Nail that day). Located near Heron Road and Bank Street, it's a great addition to the Ridgemont and Alta Vista neighbourhoods. On November 1, it opened its tap room, a massive hall with an added bonus.


Tucked into a wall recess, covered by a garage-style door, is a stage. Last Friday, hours after I visited the brewery, a Fleetwood Mac tribute band performed to beer lovers and music lovers alike. The breweries Web site is chock-full of upcoming events.


It's well and fine to have an entertainment venue in a brewery, but how is the beer? I visited Overflow's store and saw five distinct brews: I picked up two of each.


Because I was leaving for Mexico on Tuesday, I had to have my review prepared and in the can before I left, which means I didn't have time to try all five varieties. But I did enjoy two: I cracked open their porter, Final Bow (5% ABV), and contacted the co-owner, Brad Fennell, through Facebook, to find out what he considers his flagship beer to be.

Surprisingly, he told me in a response that they don't have a so-called flagship beer because they all tend to do well.

Hmph, I say.

He did, however, tell me that their North East Pale Ale, Bangkok Crosswalk (4.5% ABV) won the bronze medal, last September, in the American Pale Ale category of the Ontario Brewing Awards. Also on the podium was Nickel Brook's Naughty Neighbour (silver) and Elora Brewing's Elora Borealis (gold).

Overflow was in very good company.

While I did enjoy the porter and rated it 🍺🍺 on my scale (see the margin on the right), I'm going to hold off on that review for another time and focus on the APA.

When I first saw the label on the Bangkok Crosswalk, the tiger looking fierce as it trod upon the painted white lines, I thought about Singapore, Malaysia, rather than the capital of Thailand. I remember my travels to both countries, where tigers were more associated with the more southerly country.

History tells of how a tiger leisurely sauntered into the lobby of The Raffles Hotel, and there's that line from a Beautiful South song:
And if you pull a double one
I'll pack my bags and I'll be gone
If you pull a three and four
I'm flying off to Singapore
Where women dance and tigers roar
I'm lying on a distant shore
I'm living life as fast as I can
A nod, a wink, another drink, I am the domino man.

Yup, Singapore Crosswalk would have nailed it for me.

Appearance: a slightly unfiltered, amber-resin-apricot colour with a creamy-white head that settles to a thin but solid cap.

Nose: tangerine and Earl Grey tea, with beautifully aromatic hops. You really want to stick your nose in your glass and just inhale that bouquet.

Palate: bitter (but not overpowering) hops. I was reminded of the flavourful, floral teas of... Singapore (some of the best teas I've had were enjoyed there). The flavours hold the right balance between fruity and bitter. The mouth feel is full-bodied but lightens in the finish.

Overall impression: I had one of those ahh moments as I finished my pint. This APA is refreshing and easy-drinking, and I'd gladly pick up more. Overflow truly earned their bronze medal for this offering—not bad for a brewery that had only been running for a few months.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺🍺

While Bangkok Crosswalk was not the first Overflow brew I tried, it was definitely the one that made me want to try more of their beer. When I return from my vacation, I have a fine sample waiting in my fridge.

Overflow Brewing is off to a good start, with its huge venue that offers an ample taproom with a stage that will surely bring in both beer lovers and music fans. It's flavourful beer will surely keep those folks coming back.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment